Monday, May 09, 2005

More views on our strange way of life

Tattoos. Now, I've got plenty of them. So does my hubby, my brother, and quite a few friends. But sometimes I truly think that people get them just to have them, and not for any meaningful reason. Okay, I'm not saying that every tat has to have deep personal meaning for you. But you should not be able to walk into any ink parlor in the world, point at a random design and say "Yeah, put that on me" The reason for this post is I have a friend, who shall remain nameless. (Actually, I should tell you his name just so everyone can join in on ranking this guy with me) He stopped at our house to show off his new tattoo. He got Mel Gibson's face in full blue & white Braveheart makeup tattoo'ed on his shoulder. It's not bad looking. Pretty good likeness. But what I really, really wanted to know, was why exactly? Did Mel call him up and ask for his pic so he could get a tattoo of him? I doubt it. But, hey you never know. Another dumb guy I know spent three days letting his friend put a tribal design on the back of his neck. Now everyone with ink knows that as it starts healing, some ink will peel away from the skin. Usually it's just a little. But I noticed right off that there was a lot of ink peeling up. One week after completion, and you couldn't even tell it'd ever been done. A 15 year old kid I knew got a weird mushroom tat on his neck, because his girlfriend liked the design. (It was kinda gay looking) They broke up a few months later. I know people that have gotten Nike checks, the dog from Red Dog beer (and we all know how long that stayed popular), the donkey from Retarded Animal Babies, Kenny from South Park, and one girl got a dolphin that looks like Flipper needs some serious cosmetic surgery. But the winner in really dumb tattoos is my cousin. He got a leg with a high heel on the foot done down his left arm, and another down the left side of his chest. So naturally, with his arm pit hair it looks like.....well, hopefully you can use your imagination. But that's not his award winner. He also has a rope tattoo'ed around his neck in a noose style, with the loops of the noose going down his back. Once again, I only asked why.

No comments: