Friday, May 13, 2005

Eeek! Friday the 13th! and other stupid superstitions

Admittedly, I didn't even remember that today was the most superstitious of all days. The worst thing to ever happen to me on on a Fri.13 was a pop quiz. I'm a moderately superstitious person. If I spill salt, I throw some over my shoulder. I will not split a pole when walking with someone I like (If I don't like them, not only will I split the pole, I'll probably shove them in the street or something). If someone else is washing their hands at the same sink as me, I will not change the soap directly from hand to hand, I'll set it down instead. Ladders are not unlucky. Black cats are not unlucky. The only unlucky thing that can happen would be if you were standing on a step ladder and a dog chased a black cat under it, hit the ladder, and you fell. I can see how that would be construed as unlucky. I will not light three on a match, but only because I'm tired of my broke ass friends mooching everything they can get. If they can't find their own damn match, screw 'em. I will not sit down at a table if the number then comes out to 13. But only for the same reason as mentioned above. Damn moochers. I won't drink out of a cracked glass. But only because that poses some health issues rather than superstitious ones. Breaking a mirror is only unlucky if you have no other mirror. I do knock on wood if I'm speaking of something favorable that I would like to continue. But considering all the cheap fiberboard furniture floating around, most likely it's not real wood anyway. I firmly belive in moons and goochers if my buddies and I are flipping for something. In the case of either happening, I know it's my coins being used and if it comes up a moon, I'll get my dimes back. If it's a goocher, I'll never see them again. Friday the 13th is just another calendar day. It could just as easily have been Tuesday the 22nd that we all got nervous on.

No comments: