Friday, May 06, 2005

I'll give up my controller when you pry it from my cold, dead hands

I've been a video game addict since I was 8 and my parents got my brother and me an 8-bit Nintendo. We worshipped that thing. By the time we upgraded systems, we must've had 50 games. (Plus the game Genie and the code books) The bad thing is, it's still hooked up in my parents basement, along with our Atari and the multitude of games my dad collected for it. (Pitfall rocks!)
We took good care of our crap. Hence, my SNES is currently hooked up and entertaining my twins. Kids whining? Throw in Mario Paint for an hour or so. Unfortunately, one mouse causes a few problems. I also have my original PlayStation (now 8 years old) and my XBox hooked up. I admit, our entertainment center looks a little funky with the variety of technology spread all over it. I am a junky. One day you'll probably meet me in a church basement with a "Hello, My Name Is _____" sticker on my shirt. But I know that I won't be alone. For one thing, my brother and my kids will be sitting on either side of me. We have been known to waste whole periods of time trying to defeat a certain boss or get past a particular section. I'm not talking about an hour here or there. I mean 9 or 10 hours. It's really cutting into my Dungeons and Dragons RPG time. It wouldn't be quite so bad if I hadn't found a Super GameBoy. So now I can play all my classic GB games on the SNES right there on my 32" TV. My husband doesn't recognize me without a controller of some sort in my hand and an ashtray beside me. I need help. I know all the Pokemon and their special moves. (No, the kids don't play it. I do) I argue with the boys when they pretend to have trainer battles, and Travis says that his Geodude can beat Alec's Vileplume. I cut in...."No, Travis. Use Charmeleon, rock is weak against plant type!"

No comments: