Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Amanda and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad birthday

I've held it in and it's time to rant and rave. Sunday was my birthday, the big 24. I know, nothing special to write home (or a blog) about, but still it's my birthday. Well, I'd made plans at the beginning of April to have my kids go the the grandparents Saturday night so hubby and I could go out to dinner and enjoy an evening of frolicking naked aorund the house. No such luck. We ended up taking a 2 hr drive to Akron on Saturday morning. For the first time in my life I was car sick. I mean completely miserable. We then spent a jolly six hours with hubby's brother. A man who, by the way, has the personality of soap. I could have spent the day hemming my curtains at home and been just as entertained. But, they hadn't seen each other in years, so I went along happily. On a good note, the boys were remarkably well behaved. Probably because I bribed them with a trip to the toy store and threatened them with cancellation of their sleepover. Well, to make a long story shorter (too late) we got home, my mom picked up the kids and hubby took a nap. Needless to say, we never made it to dinner that night. But I was still feeling pretty lousy, so we stayed home and watched a Star Wars marathon. With a promise from hubby that we'd go out to lunch the next day, I took my aching stomach to bed. Sunday: the big b-day. Picked up kids, got them home and we all got dressed. Since my favorite restaraunt is a bar/diner type place, I called to check their Sunday hours. A polite man who answered the phone cheerfully informed me they were not opened that day. (They've been remodeling) I slunk back into my sweat pants and played my Pokemon game. So, I persuaded hubby to make lunch, saying I shouldn't, couldn't and wouldn't cook on my birhtday. So he made lunch. Steak. Which happens to be his favorite food, and my least favorite. My birthday dinner consisted of leftover baked beans and those butter noodles from a pouch things. Still, I tried not to complain. I managed to not complain until a friend of ours stopped over. He's still in high school, and he's a real sweet kid. He usually plays D &D with us. When hubby and Joey asked me to run to the store with a list of soda and junk food they wanted, that's when I cracked. I was on the verge of asking them to sign an IOU that stated that on their respective birthdays they would be required to be in my services. So that was my day. No favorite meal at Margaret's, no monkey sex, no special treatment. Ah well, maybe next year.

No comments: