Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Conspiracy or Coincidence?

One thing you should know about me: I am not a conspiracy theorist. Really. However, I do believe the moon landing was staged. I don't think it was done with malice, but I do think it was done.

Another thing you should know: I worship at the alter of my public library. Best. Place. On. Earth.

That said.....

I was reading a magazine article the other day and they used a book, published in 1999, as a source. I jotted down the title to search for in the inter-library loan system(state-wide). When I went to search, the book was not in the system. That's not so unusual all by itself. Afterall, there are something like 5 million books in print at any given time and I do not really expect the Ohio library system to purchase a copy of each one. So instead of searching for a specific title, I did a general search. I tried "moon landing hoax" "apollo 11 hoax" and every variation I could think of. There is not a single book about the subject available through Ohio public libraries. Odd.

So just to amuse myself (and my inner Paranoid was curious) I googled some books about the JFK assassination, particularly those that suggested the government/CIA/lemurs on crack did it. I wrote down 7-8 titles. One interesting one was pretty bold, the title was something like "Why the CIA killed Kennedy." Then I went back to the library site. They don't carry any of those books either.

Now I know the library needs permission to purchase every book. I know the state or whoever has the ultimate power to say which books are ultimately allowed to end up on the shelves for the reading public. But, really? I issue the challenge that nobody can find a book that says the U.S. government did something 'wrong.' The library just won't carry them. (Yep, I know history is written by the winners - I went to public school after all)

Part of me wants to say it's a conspiracy. (looking over shoulder furtively) But I'm not that kind of person. Really.

No comments: