Saturday, July 23, 2005

JKR, HBP and APWBD

Okay, so she killed Dumbledore. Can't say I'm shocked, exactly. Afterall, we can't honestly expect Potter to live happily ever after considering all that's happened to him. That's just about it as concerns my reviews of the book. I must say, though, that I'm happy that Harry isn't quite so much of a little asshole in book 6.

My post today is about the people I met the night I went and bought the book. My brother, sister-in-law and myself went to one of the midnight sales at our local bookstore. The people there were about 30% kids, 70% adults. Also not very surprising. We are not HP geeks. We simply waited 2 years for this frigging book. A lot of the kids were dressed up. Even more adult were dressed up than kids. While in line, we had the good fortune to be standing in line in front of Hagrid. (No, not Robbie Coltrane) This was (I assume) a reasonably sane adult male of overlarge size who decided it would be a good idea to don a large over coat, shaggy wig & beard, and speak in the worst phony British voice I have ever heard. FOR TWO HOURS! The three of us were biting our lips and insides of our cheeks so hard that it hurt to talk the next day. But wait! There's more! After wending our way through to the back of the store, we had to wend our way back up to the cash register to actually purchase the book. (And believe me, the temptation to skim through the last chapter or so of the book and reveal the spoilers out loud was extremely tempting.) I noticed that my dear friend 'Hagrid' also purchased a few other gems, including: "The Christian wisdom of the Jedi religion" "Being a Wizard in a Muggle World" and (I saved the best for last) "Releasing the Wizard in You: How to break free of your Muggle chains". I can only wonder, where was he carrying his pink umbrella?

No comments: