Thursday, September 15, 2005

Fuck You, Wizards of the Coast

I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons for roughly half my life. There are two kinds of people in this world: those who have never played D&D, and those of us who weren't like other children. I'm considered 'old school' because I prefer the Advanced D&D 2nd edition over the redone, revamped, and totally incomprehensible 3.0 or 3.5 editions. I recently read "Celebrating 30 years of D&D." And that's why I say fuck you WOTC. Gary Gygax (for those of you who don't know--first of all why are you reading this post, and 2nd of all, he's the father of D&D and RPGs in general) is mentioned about twice in the whole book. It's like WOTC is saying, Gary Gygax didn't invent the pen, he just found a way to put the ink in it. They give him no credit at all. WOTC bought out TSR during desperate times, and personally I think they destroyed it. Commercialized it. Let's face it. ( And I can say this because I am a gamer) D&D is not a hip cool game for hip cool people. D&D is a game that requires creativity and imagination. It's for us people with pale skin who weren't that great at sports to unleash themselves into a world of complete fantasy. If you ask me, there is still nothing more fun then sitting down at my kitchen table with 4 or 5 friends with character sheets, dice and pencils for a marathon gaming session. If you've ever played you know. If you haven't, then you never will.

No comments: